Mobility issues among seniors are a common problem in the United States today. Recent statistics show that two in five of all seniors in the US have limited mobility and are unable to walk for a short distance.
The problem is not one of age alone, but can be an effect of a number of health conditions. One of the most common problems that affects seniors is osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a condition that affects the bones, and results in the bones becoming brittle. As a result, seniors who suffer from osteoporosis are more likely to suffer bone breaks and fractures.
Mobility issues among seniors can also be a problem of the mind. A study conducted by the National Institute on Aging in the US found that as many as 20 percent of seniors in the US have mild to moderate cases of cognitive impairment. These seniors are often suffering from a condition called mild cognitive impairment (MCI), which is a condition that can result in a gradual decline in cognitive abilities. MCI can be caused by a number of factors, including exposure to pesticides and environmental pollutants.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Mobility Issues Among Seniors?
Mobility issues among seniors can affect quality of life, and as a result, can often result in depression. In addition, mobility issues can cause seniors to become isolated, and can result in a decline in the physical and mental health of seniors. It is important to prevent mobility issues among seniors, and to ensure that seniors are able to lead an active and healthy lifestyle.
One of the best ways to prevent mobility issues among seniors is to encourage seniors to stay physically active. Seniors who regularly engaged in physical activity were less likely to experience mobility issues. In addition, regular physical activity can also improve the physical and mental health of seniors, and may even lead to a longer lifespan.
Other ways to prevent mobility issues among seniors include:
1. Encouraging seniors to stay mentally active. One of the best ways to promote mental health in seniors is to encourage them to stay intellectually engaged.
2. Encouraging seniors to remain socially involved. Seniors who are socially isolated are more likely to experience mobility issues.
3. Encouraging seniors to stay healthy. Seniors who are physically and mentally healthy are better able to maintain their mobility.
4. Encouraging seniors to follow a healthy diet. Seniors who follow a healthy diet are less likely to experience mobility issues.
5. Encouraging seniors to be more aware of their environment. Seniors who are more aware of their surroundings are less likely to experience mobility issues.
6. Encouraging seniors to be more aware of their body. Seniors who are more aware of their body are more likely to notice changes in their mobility.
Mobility is a major issue for seniors. However, it is not a problem that cannot be overcome. Indeed, there are many ways that you can help to improve your mobility.
You can also benefit from 24-hour home care that can provide assistance with your senior’s daily chores, errands, and transportation.
We offer the best 24-hour home care services available to your senior. Book a consultation today!
If you or an aging loved-one is considering 24-Hour Home Care in Henderson, NV please contact the caring staff at Essential Care today at (833) 630-3703.